Genevieve Digregorio, Owner
1. How did you get into hospitality?
I worked at a little Cafe on North Beach in Wollongong called Diggies as a part time job whilst I was studying at Uni, fell in love with the Pace and intensity of the industry and have never looked back! It was my home for about 7 years, I grew in my roles and learned a lot from a couple of really great bosses whom I now call my biggest mentors, Stan and Aaron Crinis.
2. What do you love about the restaurant industry?
The camaraderie, pace, intensity and passion that this industry is all about! You have to love it to be great at it, you have to be authentic, real and honest - and these traits are some the most admirable in my opinion. It’s about the whole package and that really shines through to the customer as something special if it’s all there.
3. Can you tell us a bit about your restaurant?
We are a three year old 60 seater restaurant in Wollongong run by myself and my husband! We only use produce that we know incredible amounts of care and passion have gone into! Whether it be a producer that focuses on the soil that the grapes for his wine are grown in - that we will then sell, to the fruits and veggies that are produced by our farmers and the aqua culture and quality meat producers that we support. Everything we serve has a story and a producer that has put everything into their product. We believe this makes all the difference to the final product that we get to serve you at Babyface!
4. What is one of your most memorable dining experiences?
NYC 2017 - I soda - a little Italian trattoria that had recently opened up - super humble, generous and honest dining by an extremely talented young woman (recently blue hill NYC) - the best truffle pasta i’ve ever had!
5. What restaurant is on your must-visit list this year?
6. What is your 'old favourite' restaurant that you often revisit?
Pilu, very special place in my heart, family favourite!
7. What do you love about this restaurant?
It’s honest humble appeal - Giovanni and his team cook from the heart.
8. What is your favourite dish at this restaurant?
Anything pasta related or the suckling pig!
9. What is your favourite dish at your restaurant?
Clarence River King prawn / koji + Kombu butter sauce or the Moreton bay bug crumpet / ssamjiang emulsion.
10. Can you share an “Insider Tip” for dining at your restaurant?
Sunday lunch or Sunday dinner / have a tasting menu and let us match your wines for you.