Liz Mason, Head Chef
1. How did you get into hospitality?
Being a chef is all I’ve wanted to be since I was about five years old! I started as a dishwasher when I was 16 and fell in love with the industry. I wouldn’t change it for anything.
2. What do you love about the restaurant industry?
Everything! The creativity it allows you. That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you have a happy customer. Working with awesome people, you can be a weirdo in hospitality and nobody notices.
3. Can you tell us a bit about your restaurant?
It’s amazing! It’s a super sexy dining room putting up a delicious Mediterranean/middle eastern style menu, awesome service, awesome wine, great tunes and all the profits go to helping victims of domestic violence. What’s not to love about Song Kitchen!
4. What is one of your most memorable dining experiences?
Getting to dine with Fergus Henderson when I was working in Hong Kong. He was doing a pop up with one of my favourite chefs and he decided to join me and my friends for dinner. It was just the four of us and we ended up hanging out for whole evening! Got to take him out on the town too, it was awesome!
5. What restaurant is on your must-visit list this year?
LuMi Bar & Dining, it’s epic, can’t wait to eat there again.
6. What is your 'old favourite' restaurant that you often revisit?
Queen Chow in Enmore….so good!
7. What do you love about this restaurant?
Their spicy margarita haha. All the staff are great and it’s chilled.
8. What is your favourite dish at this restaurant?
Fried chicken with Szechuan peppercorns.
9. What is your favourite dish at your restaurant?
The ice cream sandwich, I love making it, plating it and eating it. It’s just so playful, it makes you feel like a little kid at a carnival.
10. Can you share an “Insider Tip” for dining at your restaurant?
Thursdays have a really great vibe to them, both day and night. There are a couple of great happy hour crowds, everyone can feel the weekend is close and it’s just buzzing with positivity. Thursdays rock my socks.